In addition to using exit interviews that ask employees why they're leaving, conduct regular "stay interviews" to learn what your organization is doing right (and wrong) and to show that you care about employees' input. Ask questions such as: "Do you believe the organization cares about you?" "Do you enjoy your work?" "Is your compensation fair?" and "How can we bring more satisfaction and fun to the workplace?"
- Identify employees with substance-abuse problems
- Conducting a RIF? Use diplomatic language
- Supervisor deserves termination? Fire away--even if he's a member of a protected class
- Poor performance or disability discrimination? Keep good records to prove you're not biased
- Jury smells a rat in firing of disabled man