Q. Do I have to allow an employee off work because he has been subpoenaed to testify in a friend’s divorce case? I would like to replace him if he misses work for more than a day or two.
A. Don’t do it. Texas law prohibits an employer from firing or otherwise disciplining an employee for complying with a valid subpoena to appear in any civil, criminal, legislative or administrative proceeding. That includes divorce cases.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Remind bosses about legal risk of 'make workers so miserable they quit' strategy
- Don't expect access to employees' past job records to prove poor performance
- $46.7 million for manager who blew the whistle on age discrimination
- Beware! Old slights can bolster new bias claims