Q. Do I have to allow an employee off work because he has been subpoenaed to testify in a friend’s divorce case? I would like to replace him if he misses work for more than a day or two.
A. Don’t do it. Texas law prohibits an employer from firing or otherwise disciplining an employee for complying with a valid subpoena to appear in any civil, criminal, legislative or administrative proceeding. That includes divorce cases.
- How do layoffs affect employees on sick leave?
- Illinois' new school-reform law enacted with union backing
- Political Expression at Work: Limit Distractions, but Allow Free Speech
- Don't panic when former employee files massive lawsuit—most claims go away
- Document every termination as if it will be challenged in court