Q. Do I have to allow an employee off work because he has been subpoenaed to testify in a friend’s divorce case? I would like to replace him if he misses work for more than a day or two.
A. Don’t do it. Texas law prohibits an employer from firing or otherwise disciplining an employee for complying with a valid subpoena to appear in any civil, criminal, legislative or administrative proceeding. That includes divorce cases.
- Cupid in the workplace: You can terminate supervisor for lying about personal relationship
- In health care? Get ready for federal affirmative action scrutiny
- 'Gender expression' now protected in N.J.; check dress code
- IRS ramps up HIRE correspondence audits
- The new HR toolkit: Resources you need for tough times