Q. Do I have to allow an employee off work because he has been subpoenaed to testify in a friend’s divorce case? I would like to replace him if he misses work for more than a day or two.
A. Don’t do it. Texas law prohibits an employer from firing or otherwise disciplining an employee for complying with a valid subpoena to appear in any civil, criminal, legislative or administrative proceeding. That includes divorce cases.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Family responsibilities discrimination poses complex quandary
- Trust your fair policies: they'll prevail in court
- You won't be liable for employees' conjecture about discrimination
- Manager's careless comment on accent shows discrimination under ELCRA