Q. Do I have to allow an employee off work because he has been subpoenaed to testify in a friend’s divorce case? I would like to replace him if he misses work for more than a day or two.
A. Don’t do it. Texas law prohibits an employer from firing or otherwise disciplining an employee for complying with a valid subpoena to appear in any civil, criminal, legislative or administrative proceeding. That includes divorce cases.
- Refusing to follow orders doesn't always equal insubordination
- Retaliation nation: Reacting to complaint? Zip it!
- Problem Solved: Real People … Real Leadership Solutions, August '09
- Multistate businesses: Standardize your policies and supervisor training
- Avoid ADA 'regarded-as' problems: Don't mark 'disabled' on files