Interested in combating potential
It gives you the right to obtain information from the employee’s physician about the ailment and (at least for the first certification) to obtain a second or third opinion from an independent physician.
To make sure employees take only leave to which they are entitled, follow these 10 steps:
1. Obtain a medical certification for each request for leave due to a serious health condition. It’s important that your sick leave or attendance policy requires a doctor’s certification for all absences of three or more days for the leave to be excused. If there’s no such requirement and you intend to require paid leave to run concurrent with FMLA leave, you might not be able to require a medical certification, which is the first step in an anti-fraud program.
2. Enforce a pol...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Calling in 'sick' won't trigger FMLA; employee must give details
- What does the proposed Employee Free Choice Act involve, and what are its prospects?
- You, not employee, choose ADA accommodation
- As economy rebounds, unions feed off 'I want my slice!' gripes