Q. Our company employs fewer than 50 people, so we don't have to comply with
A. You really have no good reason to explain that your employees aren't covered under FMLA or, for that matter, any other laws. Still, many employers that are too small to fall under FMLA choose to offer benefits. In that case, you must explain your leave policies in your handbook.
- Violent reaction from boss may trigger retaliation lawsuit
- What if employees balk at new mandatory arbitration procedure?
- Your best bet for preventing lawsuits: Prompt action, unimpeachable fairness
- No employee handbook or written policy? Good luck proving you take harassment seriously
- When employee requests accommodation, beware overly cautious return-to-work conditions