Employees returning from military service are entitled to come back to their old jobs, and they have other limited job protections, too. But those protections don’t mean employers can never discipline or demote employees who have been serving in the armed forces. Just make sure you’re doing so for legitimate business reasons, such as documented poor performance.
- Remind supervisors: Constructive criticism is expected--not an excuse for employees to sue
- Supreme Court to decide: Does severance count as wages?
- Federal agencies now must pay for discrimination judgments
- Keep the snark to yourself! If you suspect malingering, let system play out
- New Florida FMLA status: Pet abuse victim?