Freshman Sen. Al Franken has scored his first legislative victory. Joining forces with Louisiana Democrat Mary Landrieu, Franken proposed an amendment to the recently enacted Defense Appropriations bill that bars defense contractors from requiring employees to use arbitration to resolve workplace discrimination complaints of sexual assault, harassment or other Title VII violations.
Franken proposed the bill in response to the plight of Jamie Lee Jones, an employee of defense contractor Halliburton who claimed co-workers raped her while she was working in Baghdad. Halliburton had insisted the matter be resolved by arbitration.
The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled against Halliburton, and Jones’ case will now go to court.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Management bias not necessarily enough to justify quitting
- Charlotte nursing home settles disability suit
- Family that harasses together... gets to go to court together
- When making promotion decisions, discrimination prohibited, fairness optional