Workplace drug testing's popularity has gradually fallen since peaking in 1996, when 81 percent of employers surveyed by the AmericanAssociation (AMA) said they tested. By 2004, that percentage had fallen to 62 percent. Reason: employers seeking to cut costs and red tape in hiring. Currently, about 8 percent of full-time U.S. employees age 18 to 49 use illegal drugs, says a federal government report. Read the AMA medical-testing study at www.amanet.org/research.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Résumés? Cover letters? You need to go deeper
- Understand your firm's financial health
- Feel free to use subjective factors when hiring, but be prepared to explain your criteria
- E-Verify back online following federal government shutdown