Workplace drug testing's popularity has gradually fallen since peaking in 1996, when 81 percent of employers surveyed by the AmericanAssociation (AMA) said they tested. By 2004, that percentage had fallen to 62 percent. Reason: employers seeking to cut costs and red tape in hiring. Currently, about 8 percent of full-time U.S. employees age 18 to 49 use illegal drugs, says a federal government report. Read the AMA medical-testing study at www.amanet.org/research.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Find retention answers from 'Ones who got away'
- Was Galveston retirement home biased against older worker?
- The labor law waiting to trip you up--even if you're not unionized!
- Sully's landing: more than good luck