The American Psychological Association’s (APA) latest “Stress in America Survey” confirms that work is stressing out people. Nearly a quarter of adults report high levels of stress, and half say they’re moderately stressed.
Too often, employees’ solutions to stress—sedentary activities such as reading and watching TV—just cause more problems.
The combination of long-term stress and limited physical activity can cause diabetes, heart disease, obesity and high blood pressure.
One stress solution that works, according to the APA: wellness programs that offer incentives to employees who trade overeating, smoking and other harmful habits for healthier behaviors.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 2009 is 'year of employee benefits'; more in the pipeline for 2010
- Four Seasons employees share via in-house newscast
- Beware potential new source of lawsuits: Lawyers try RICO in discrimination case
- What kind of information are we required to give participants in our health insurance plan?