Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania’s senior senator, switched parties from Republican to Democrat in April, and now he’s changed his mind about the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). His support for pending legislation to repeal DOMA, which limits federal government recognition of same-sex marriage, could be crucial—and could affect HR.
Under DOMA, for example, only opposite-sex married couples may taketo care for an ill spouse. DOMA applies even to states that allow same-sex marriage.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Be cautious with FMLA firings; ADA, FMLA can overlap
- What are the ground rules for records retention?
- It's up to you to ensure employees know how much FMLA leave they have left
- What's this we heard about a California military family leave law?