Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania’s senior senator, switched parties from Republican to Democrat in April, and now he’s changed his mind about the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). His support for pending legislation to repeal DOMA, which limits federal government recognition of same-sex marriage, could be crucial—and could affect HR.
Under DOMA, for example, only opposite-sex married couples may taketo care for an ill spouse. DOMA applies even to states that allow same-sex marriage.
- Boost health screening turnout with mix of carrots, sticks
- Whaddya bet a lawyer didn't write these work rules?
- Changes in benefits? Make sure employees on military leave get written notice, too
- Preach zero tolerance for any harassment
- Employers aren't required to offer intermittent FMLA leave for birth, adoptions