Suggestion boxes seem like such a good idea! They’re an easy way to solicit employee input. They send the message that
Our friends at CareerBuilder.com recently asked managers nationwide to share the most memorable requests or recommendations they’ve received in the office suggestion box.
- Add a tanning bed to the break room.
- Allow people to change clothes in their cubicles.
- Put beer in the vending machine.
- Cover jail time in the policy.
- Allow employees to work only during daylight hours, because some might be scared of the dark.
- Establish a special smoking area for medical marijuana.
- Institute bikini Fridays.
- Let me have more time off so I can pursue my side business as a clown.
- Replace my desk with a futon so I can lie down and work.
- Install a swimming pool.
- Hold the next team meeting in Hawaii.
- Allow everyone to take naps in the gliding chair in the lactation room.
- Tell the HR person to wear nicer shoes.
OK, some of those aren’t so bad after all. Has your suggestion box yielded any good ones lately? Let us know by commenting below.
- Entrepreneurship degree becoming hot new curriculum
- Retain e-mails after receiving EEOC complaint
- Consider FMLA before firing for attendance
- Employee is pregnant? You can still discipline or fire if she violates your policies
- Employee returning from FMLA leave? OK to assign her to different, equivalent job