Employees who typically moonlight as sales clerks and warehouse workers to pick up extra cash for the holidays could have an especially hard time this season because so few retailers are hiring holiday help.
A Manpower survey of employers shows that just 12% expect to increase their staffs during the final quarter of this year. Businesses that do take on extra hands for the holidays have plenty of applicants to choose from.
Tip: Don’t turn away a good candidate for being overqualified for a seasonal job. Most applicants are eager for a paycheck, even if the work doesn’t require them to use their advanced skills.
- Sample Policy: Job Postings
- Even with economy on the mend, comp & benefits will lag
- Congress, EEOC look into tightening age-bias law
- Wellness programs: Does your health-risk questionnaire violate the new genetic-bias law?
- Former employee who sued applies for new job? Take extra care about who does the hiring