Q. Some of our assistants are good employees, but they’re constantly late. What can we do to get them to come to work on time? —A.A., Virginia
A. This is a textbook situation for . Draft a companywide attendance policy that includes a progressive discipline schedule such as this: oral warning, followed by a first written warning, a second written warning, an unpaid disciplinary suspension and ultimately termination. Consistency and evenhanded enforcement are critical to avoiding liability. Make sure all of your supervisors follow the policy.
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Feel free to impose legitimate discipline, even if employee is out on FMLA leave
- State probes purchase of phony diplomas and degrees
- Don't dock pay for time-Clock mistakes
- Use encouraging, fairâ€”and honestâ€”appraisals when coaching newly promoted employees