Q. Some of our assistants are good employees, but they’re constantly late. What can we do to get them to come to work on time? —A.A., Virginia
A. This is a textbook situation for . Draft a companywide attendance policy that includes a progressive discipline schedule such as this: oral warning, followed by a first written warning, a second written warning, an unpaid disciplinary suspension and ultimately termination. Consistency and evenhanded enforcement are critical to avoiding liability. Make sure all of your supervisors follow the policy.
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Harassment victims aren't immune from discipline; document actions
- Appraising workers in alternative job arrangements
- Attitude, absence & foul language: 3 scripts for those conversations you'd rather not have
- Use objective criteria, transparent process to ensure promotions are fair for everyone