Sears agreed last month to a $6.2 million settlement with the EEOC over charges that it violated the ADA. This is the largest ADA settlement in a single lawsuit in ADA history.
The lawsuit alleged that Sears maintained an inflexible workers’ compensation leave exhaustion policy and terminated employees instead of providing them with reasonable accommodations for their disabilities.
The pretrial discovery revealed that hundreds of Sears employees were fired after taking workers’ comp leave.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- No joint employer liability under ERISA
- Can we recover the cost of a former employee's laptop by withholding from his final paycheck?
- Employee fired via Twitter--before she even starts
- Suspect medical excuse is bogus? Ask employee for a (real) doctor's note