Sears agreed last month to a $6.2 million settlement with the EEOC over charges that it violated the ADA. This is the largest ADA settlement in a single lawsuit in ADA history.
The lawsuit alleged that Sears maintained an inflexible workers’ compensation leave exhaustion policy and terminated employees instead of providing them with reasonable accommodations for their disabilities.
The pretrial discovery revealed that hundreds of Sears employees were fired after taking workers’ comp leave.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- May we remove a restaurant server from shifts because of sores on her face?
- Employee's 'Audio Diary' Spawns Lawsuit Against Pittsburgh TV Station
- When worker complains, find out if she's a 'Serial sue-er'
- Spring cleaning: Give employee handbook a thorough going-over