Ask senior executives to decode
Shaping the future. Whether through vision, mission or strategy, leaders want to answer the question, “Where are we going?”
Firing up talent. This includes identifying talent, developing it, avoiding demotivators and retaining the best people while losing the worst.
Following through. It’s also known as getting results, or execution.
Planning for successors. By figuring out who will guide your organization into the next generation, and by working on the transition, you’ll honor your team and sustain your legacy.
Being true to yourself. In a fundamental sense, who you are shapes everything you accomplish.
—Adapted from “Decoding Leadership,” Norm Smallwood, Harvard Business Publishing, blogs.harvardbusiness.org.
- FMLA? What's FMLA? ... Do Your Leaders Know their Employment-Law Basics?
- Muslim scarf ban costs $50K for Philadelphia security firm
- Overcoming adult attention deficit disorder in the workplace
- The bully boss strikes again! How to deal with bosses who make crazy requests
- Alleged rape in Iraq leads to $2.9 million settlement—for now