Ask senior executives to decode
Shaping the future. Whether through vision, mission or strategy, leaders want to answer the question, “Where are we going?”
Firing up talent. This includes identifying talent, developing it, avoiding demotivators and retaining the best people while losing the worst.
Following through. It’s also known as getting results, or execution.
Planning for successors. By figuring out who will guide your organization into the next generation, and by working on the transition, you’ll honor your team and sustain your legacy.
Being true to yourself. In a fundamental sense, who you are shapes everything you accomplish.
—Adapted from “Decoding Leadership,” Norm Smallwood, Harvard Business Publishing, blogs.harvardbusiness.org.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- To create a killer recruiting site, mimic the nation's 25 best
- You aren't required to launch a perfect investigation
- Have the guts to make the call
- Management Circa 1943: Is Your Workplace Still Stuck There?