* UPDATE: SEPTEMBER 2013 *
With new regulations taking effect, update your HIPAA privacy policies ASAP
Remember the sweeping HIPAA reforms enacted in 2009 as part of the economic stimulus legislation? Yeah, neither did we. However, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) hasn’t forgotten. It has issued final regulations for implementing the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act.
The regulations require entities covered by HIPAA—including employer-provided health plans—to update their privacy policies ASAP. The deadline: Sept. 23, 2013. HIPAA is the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, which governs almost all employer-provided health insurance plans. It also sets the national standards for electronic health care transactions—the primary focus of the HITECH Act.
HITECH expanded security measures employers must take to ensure employee privacy and r...(register to read more)
- Furniture firm makes interest-Free vacation loans to employees
- Warn bosses: No religious harassment at work
- Employees use work skills to improve communities
- Of course you have an anti-harassment policy; now make sure all your employees can use it
- If we buy another company, are we also buying the union that represents its employees?