A new federal law takes effect Nov. 8 that extends eligibility for group health insurance coverage to certain dependent children over age 18 who are enrolled in institutions of higher education.
Specifically, “Michelle’s Law” requires continuing coverage for employees’ dependent children who become sick and have to drop out of school to recover, thus losing their full-time student status. Under the law, group health coverage must be extended for up to one year.
Advice: Work with your carrier or broker to make sure your insurance plan complies.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Don't think a successful workers' comp case lets you off the ADA accommodation hook
- Recruiting & Retaining: 6 Real-Life Examples of Successful Programs
- 3 federal tests: Are workers employees or independent contractors?
- Wasted at work? You don't have to tolerate it!