A new federal law takes effect Nov. 8 that extends eligibility for group health insurance coverage to certain dependent children over age 18 who are enrolled in institutions of higher education.
Specifically, “Michelle’s Law” requires continuing coverage for employees’ dependent children who become sick and have to drop out of school to recover, thus losing their full-time student status. Under the law, group health coverage must be extended for up to one year.
Advice: Work with your carrier or broker to make sure your insurance plan complies.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Misclassifying employees as contractors? IRS wants to know
- EAP hotline calls may trigger ADA, FMLA awareness
- Green light tax-free commuting perks for employees
- Court must weigh potential conflict of interest when employer decides not to pay benefits