When an employee takes
What happens if the fill-in worker discovers that the employee currently out on leave wasn’t doing as good a job as you thought? Can you then fire the employee while he’s on FMLA leave?
The answer is yes, according to a recent 7th Circuit Court of Appeals decision.
Recent case: Michael Daugherty rose rapidly through the ranks at his employer, a nonprofit serving people with developmental disabilities. Daugherty started as a maintenance assistant and wound up becoming the nonprofit’s vice president of information technology.
But employees began complaining about Daugherty’s style, and management told him to cancel his upcoming vacation so he could address the problems.
Almost immediately, Daugherty went to his doctor and got a medical excuse recommending that he take...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Feds to lure college grads
- Manager's Checkup: How diplomatic are you?
- Summer staff get-togethers for every budget
- Warn managers and supervisors: You may be personally liable for discrimination!