Overtime is lower at equipment rental chain RentalMax than it has been in a dozen years—and it’s not because of the economy.
The Chicago-based firm reduced overtime by 70% by using time-tracking software that allows HR managers to see how much they’re spending on labor. They can alert supervisors of spikes in hours, and the supervisors can take action to reduce unnecessary overtime.
The organization, which has 100 hourly employees at 10 stores, pays a per-employee subscription fee to the software, which is designed to track overtime at multiple locations through a secure web site.
Contact: Julie Rogier at (800) 423-0418.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- HR's New Year's resolutions: The top 10 to-do's in 2010
- Work with IT staff to make sure all HR documents are easily accessible
- Before starting ADA accommodations process, ask basic question: Is this employee disabled?
- Put skills to work on a family reunion