Q. Are there any legal restrictions on whether we can interview and hire a relative of one of our current employees? —J.D., North Carolina
A. No federal laws prohibit you from hiring relatives of a current employee. Just make sure that the hiring wouldn’t conflict with any anti-nepotism or anti-dating clauses in your . A good rule of thumb: If you want to allow relatives to work for your organization, make sure they work in different departments and that neither has supervisory authority over the other.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Understand the North Carolina Persons with Disabilities Protection Act
- Develop objective promotion criteria, stick with them—and be sure to document them
- What's the full list of off-limits job interview questions in California?
- Tell managers: Get over it! Handling employee complaints is part of the job