Q. Are there any legal restrictions on whether we can interview and hire a relative of one of our current employees? —J.D., North Carolina
A. No federal laws prohibit you from hiring relatives of a current employee. Just make sure that the hiring wouldn’t conflict with any anti-nepotism or anti-dating clauses in your . A good rule of thumb: If you want to allow relatives to work for your organization, make sure they work in different departments and that neither has supervisory authority over the other.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Disciplining? Consider employee's FMLA status
- Use solid research to back business-necessity defense when deciding not to accommodate
- Courts to serial litigants: Enough is enough! Lawsuit-happy employees may face fines
- Not all harassers need immediate firing