Q. Are there any legal restrictions on whether we can interview and hire a relative of one of our current employees? —J.D., North Carolina
A. No federal laws prohibit you from hiring relatives of a current employee. Just make sure that the hiring wouldn’t conflict with any anti-nepotism or anti-dating clauses in your employee handbook. A good rule of thumb: If you want to allow relatives to work for your organization, make sure they work in different departments and that neither has supervisory authority over the other.
- Send out employee benefit info electronically
- Court: ADA class-actions generally won't fly
- Beware! Don't overreact to pay complaints
- First suggestion needn't be last word: You're free to choose reasonable accommodation
- Head off problem employees' retaliation suits: Document all decision-making as it happens