Companies that fire lots of employees get sued for discrimination by many of the castoffs. But all those
Recent case: Kelly Jackson, who is black and older than 50, was fired from his job with Lakewinds Natural Foods. The company cited , but Jackson sued, claiming race and age discrimination.
He showed the court sworn affidavits from many other employees who had also been fired. But those employees were quite diverse.
That pattern, concluded the court, probably indicated employee/management conflicts rather than discrimination. It dismissed the case. (Jackson v. Lakewinds Natural Foods, No. 08-398, DC MN, 2009)
- 'Sorry': the hardest word to say to job applicants
- HSN hit with discrimination suit
- One sex always does the dirty work? Be prepared to show that it's essential
- What happens next? An alleged harassment victim doesn't want to come forward
- Union members can't use 'Public policy' violation as basis for retaliation claim