Companies that fire lots of employees get sued for discrimination by many of the castoffs. But all those
Recent case: Kelly Jackson, who is black and older than 50, was fired from his job with Lakewinds Natural Foods. The company cited , but Jackson sued, claiming race and age discrimination.
He showed the court sworn affidavits from many other employees who had also been fired. But those employees were quite diverse.
That pattern, concluded the court, probably indicated employee/management conflicts rather than discrimination. It dismissed the case. (Jackson v. Lakewinds Natural Foods, No. 08-398, DC MN, 2009)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Whoa! Never saw that one coming! You're not responsible for aberrant crime
- Remove bias suspicion: Make firing a group decision
- Discrimination claims hit all-time high
- Mine the best tax breaks for investing in gold